Agricultural Science

Agricultural Science is the study of the science and technology underlying the principles and practices of agriculture. It aims to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes concerning the factors that affect the long-term well being of agriculture resources and places emphasis on the managed use of these resources.

It is a diverse and stimulating course, which covers various aspects of agriculture such as Animal and Plant Physiology, Soils, and Animal and Crop Production. Practical work, comprising laboratory and fieldwork, plays a central part in the course. In the Agricultural Science department at Clongowes Wood College pupils have all the facilities available to complete all practical experiments in order to bring the subject to life. They are also fortunate to have access to the farm on the college grounds to research their projects.

Assessment of Agricultural Science for the Leaving Certificate consists of a terminal examination worth 75% with the remaining 25% for coursework. Coursework is presented in project form and has three sections:

(a) Identification of plants and animals associated with agriculture.

(b) Practical experience with crops, livestock and farmyard layouts.

(c) Laboratory investigations carried out during the course.

Pupils of Agricultural Science in Clongowes Wood College keep up to date with current agricultural developments by each receiving a copy of The Farmers Journal every week. They also complete farm visits throughout their two-year cycle, which provides them with great opportunities to see the theory of the subject put into practice.

Agricultural Sciences gives a strong grounding for pupils who wish to embark on careers in Food Science, Biotechnology, Horticulture, Landscape Architecture, Equine Studies and Agriculture.